On September 28th, 1925 at a public meeting in the Hamlet of Mottville located in the town of Skaneateles, New York the decision to create the Mottville Fire Company was made. This was passed by a standing vote of 35 men present at the meeting. The decision to start a fire department in Mottville resulted from the organization of Water District 1 by Dr. Milton E. Gregg. Jack Fraser and John H. Ostrander felt that the hydrants in the new water system were useless to fight a fire with. Who was going to use the hydrants? When George A. Farrar heard that a meeting was going to be held to form a fire department, he donated the once bar room of the Mottville Hotel (located at the southeast corner of Mottville and Jordan roads) to hold the meeting. Appointed temporary social officers were: George A. Farrar as chairman and C. W. Ostrander as secretary. Officers elected were: George A. Farrar - Chief, Jack Fraser - Assistant Chief, C.W. Ostrander - Secretary, and Martin Feeny as Treasurer. By October 12th the charter members had adopted their company by-laws and approval for construction granted.
November 9th gave way to the creation of the Fire District and taxation to obtain funds. Legal guidance was provided by Charles R. Milford Jr. who offered his services gratis for several years. Although taxation was established, it was not sufficient enough to keep the Fire Department going. To supplement, fundraisers were put on throughout the years. One of the earliest fundraisers was a Minstrel show that raised $280.93. Others included a benefit movie show that raised $79.55 and eventually the Annual Old Home Days that started in 1931 and continued to 1962.
The first fire fought by Mottville occurred early Christmas day 1925 in Skaneateles Falls at one of the Skaneateles Paper Company warehouses. Since Mottville had only one hand drawn hose carrier, they were assisted by the Skaneateles and Auburn Fire Departments.
$25,000 Blaze Wrecks Plant at Skaneateles Falls
Auburn and Skaneateles Fire Departments were called early Christmas morning to assist in fighting a fire that destroyed a warehouse at Skaneateles Falls causing damage of $25,000. The property, owned by the Skaneateles Paper company, was partly insured.
The warehouse contained 1,000 tons of raw materials for the manufacture of paper. It burned fiercely. The shop fire company attempted to put out the flames, but it was seen quickly that help was needed. The Skaneateles pumper and crew answered the call to the scene, but more help was required. Hose Company #2 of Auburn made the run of eight miles and stayed several hours until the fire was checked.
Skaneateles Free Press
Friday January 1st, 1926
Page 1 3rd column at bottom
In 1926 Mottville joined the Onondaga County Volunteer Fireman's Association and gained their first motorized fire truck. Donated by Fred McCullum, the Ford truck was rebuilt by the members to fit their needs. This remained their primary firefighting tool until 1929.
1928 brought even more changes. The Ladies Auxiliary was formed assisting the Fire Company in their fund raising and providing support and sustenance during prolonged alarms. The Universalist Church located on Frost Street was also acquired and a two bay truck room added. Due to the limited monies available to them in their infancy, all work was done by the firemen.
A second truck was added to Mottville's rolling stock in 1929. This was a new International truck on which old chemical tanks and hose body were installed. A short time later a front mount pump was added and the old chemical tanks were replaced with a home made booster tank.
It was not until 1939 before Mottville would see their next truck. This would be an old ambulance that was reconditioned as a Squad car which would carry extra hose, a stretcher, first aid equipment and a portable lighting outfit. Another ten years will have passed before the first "real" firetruck would sit on Mottville's floor.
When 1949 arrived, so did Mottville's brand new factory built 1949 Ford all-wheel drive engine built by Sanford. This engine had a 500 gallon tank and a 500 GPM pump. It was also equipped with a one inch booster line and a full compliment of 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 inch hose.
During the 1940's, 50's and 60's Mottville had a Drum Corps and a Junior Drum & Bugle Corps (the only one in New York State) who gained much recognition.
1960 brought yet another factory built truck and some state-of-the -art equipment. This was a 1960 Chevy 1000 gallon tanker equipped with a 300 GPM pump built by Sanford and two Scott SCBA. Up to this point firefighters wore old canister or cartridge masks and/or were forced to fight fires from the outside. This new equipment gave them a great advantage but increased the dangers of firefighting.
Six years later an American LaFrance was delivered. Delivered in the traditional Red it was later repainted to a yellow-lime color often referred to as "slime lime" by the members.
A short time later circa 1969-70, a 1936 Dodge open cab pumper with a 500 gallon tank and 500 GPM pump was purchased from the Skaneateles Fire Department.
Circa 1973 a Rescue truck was added to the rolling stock. This was an old bread truck converted by inmates at the Auburn State Prison who did the minor body work, painting and lettering.
May 25th, 1973 brought a new phase to Mottville. Residents voted to replace the worn fire station. The old station was razed and the current building set in its place. The first meeting in the new station took place February 11th, 1973.
The first "real big" engine purchased by Mottville was a 1980 Maxim. This was the first diesel powered of the fleet. It carried 1000 gallons of water and could pump 1500 gallons per minute much greater than previous purchases. It was also loaded with 1200 feet of 5 inch supply hose which Mottville decided to go with years earlier before the rest of the county departments did.
The next vehicle purchase would come in 1992 when members took delivery of a 1992 custom built Spartan/Beck Engine. This unit also had a 1500 gpm pump and 1200' of 5" hose. This truck also introduced the companies logo of "The Animal". This state of the art piece of equipment would replace the 1966 American Lafrance Engine.
Shortly after that in 1995, another unit was placed into service, Squad-3. This unit replaced the old Rescue 2 but added a 200gal tank and pump for fighting brush fires.
In early 1997, the 1980 Maxim had done the company well and it was time to be replaced. Members took delivery of another customer built engine by E-One. The unit, now called Engine-2, is a 1997 E-One/Freightliner engine with room for 5 firefighters. The unit also came with a 1500gpm pump, 1000gal water tank, and other firefighting equipment.
With the continuing demand for the latest in firefighting equipment, members voted and passed to upgrade the older style Scott 2.2 air packs to the newer 4.5 air packs. These vital pieces of firefighting equipment would prove valuable especially on a firefighters ability to complete their tasks.
In late 1999, a truck committee was underway to replace the 1987 Ford/Sanford Rescue truck. After months of investigating and homework, the companies first aerial truck was purchased. The rig, still in service, is a 2000 E-One custom built HP75 Aerial truck. The committee members had to come up with a way to still carry all of our rescue and extrication equipment so members were able to utilize Engine-2 as our truck for not only Engine Company operations, but rescue operations as well.
In early 2008, another truck committee was formed to come up with ideas for a customer built Rescue-Pumper as the ever increasing demands in today's society was creating a burden on our current Engine-2. After 9 months of work, a new rig was purchased. Rescue-Pumper 1, a 6-man engine built by E-One, would become the latest piece of apparatus in the fleet. Members added many vital options such as a hydraulic generator, customer built Hydraulic Rescue Tool System, compartments, and many new state of the art rescue tools. With this purchase also came Squad-5, a 2009 Ford F-250 4-door Pick-up to help move firefighters and equipment.
In January 2010, a building committee was formed from not only company members, but fire district members as well. The district, with funds already present, upgraded the truck bay lighting, truck bay heating systems, meeting room and office boiler system, and much needed concrete work. The work is still under construction and the committee hopes to do more in 2011.
At the present day, members continue to train, educate, and drill themselves to provide the most professional and dedicated firefighting and rescue tasks that are presented to them on a daily basis.
Have photos of us in action?
Email them to us at:
8th Annual Softball Tournament Date: TBD
28th Annual Golf Tournament Date: TBD
Spring Breakfast Sunday April 29, 2018: 7am-12pm
2nd Annual Ranger Raffle Date: September 29, 2018
Check out "About us" for the full history of our company!!